Saturday, October 16, 2010

Torture Day

We had Caitlin's medical appointment today, which, as I said, I've been dreading. I'd heard about kids having to get 7 shots, 2 in each leg, 2 in one arm and one in the other. I just couldn't imagine anyone doing that to a poor child, especially one who's already been through as much as these kids have been through. We got Caitlin's shot record from her orphanage, and although it was in Chinese, there was a good deal of writing in it so I had hoped that meant she'd had all her shots...

I was wrong.

Guess how many shots Caitlin got today? You guessed it: Seven. Poor kid's got band-aids all over her little body.

It was awful. She cried; I cried. Actually, let me rephrase that: she SCREAMED (bloody murder); I cried. I never again wish to have to sit by and watch my child being treated as a pin cushion. And they made me hold her down! So then I had to worry that she was going to blame me for all the pain and agony. Happily, that does not seem to be the case. She seems to have forgotten the whole ordeal, although she clearly does not feel good. I finally just put her down to sleep at
7 PM, one hour early, because she needed it. Hopefully she'll sleep through the night and with a good night's rest she'll feel good as new in the morning- I hope.

And now I have to worry about putting her through the surgery she's going to have to have to repair her palate. If just getting 7 shots was that hard, what will it be like to put her through major surgery?

We also had to get Caitlin's Visa picture taken today. She had to sit in a chair (by herself) so they could take her picture. Being as attached to me as she is, you can imagine how well that went over. I'm including a picture of her picture for you to see the results.
Yep, that's our girl!

Anyway, after the torture session, we got to walk around the island a little. There are TONS of cool shops, and the prices seem to be really great! We didn't have enough time to look at much, but we (I) can't wait to go back and look some more! Everyone usually ends up buying an extra suitcase in Guangzhou for the trip home to carry all the stuff they buy here. And fortunately for us, they just so happen to have lots of nice suitcases here for a great price, as well!

After "window shopping" for a bit we met back up with our group for lunch. Susan took us to a
Cantonese restaurant near the White Swan hotel. It was very nice, and the food was excellent! It was great to get to spend time with our group again, and get to know the new kiddos! Then we headed back to the hotel for more paperwork and naps. After Caitlin woke up, she was very grumpy (I would be too if someone held me down and treated me like a voodoo doll!), so we decided to play it low and just hang out around here. We explored our hotel a little (which, by the way, is AMAZING!!! This is by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. And it's huge! Lots to explore!), then walked around outside for awhile. We found a nice park with a big lake and walked around there, but Caitlin was obviously uncomfortable so we decided it would be best to just eat an early dinner and get her to bed. Since she was not in a mood to even think about trying a sit-down meal, we settled on McDonald's across the street from our hotel. Caitlin tried to steal her first french fry... No, she did not succeed. I'm not going to risk her choking for a french fry!
Tomorrow we are going to a church service, then to lunch with Susan. I think she said Thai food this time! Yum!

One last story: I tried to order a
Diet Coke this morning at breakfast. The server did in fact bring a can of Pepsi Light (usually I get a regular Coke; they don't seem to worry much about diets around here), but the glass he brought had ice and a lemon, neither of which are we supposed to consume.

I asked for a plain glass: No ice, no lemon.

The server seemed to understand; he repeated "Yes, yes. No ice, no lemon"... Then proceeded to bring me another glass with ice and TWO lemons!

I asked again: No ice, no lemon; just a plain glass.

He again repeated, this time sounding a bit frustrated, "Yes, yes. No ice, no lemon"... Then brought me a glass with ice (no lemon, though).

I decided that I would just drink my Coke out of the can, but the next thing I knew, and before I could stop him, the very helpful server poured my Coke for me- in the glass with the ice.

No Coke for me! Bummer. That probably did not help my mood at the medical exam. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not responsible for anything that happens before I've had my caffeine in the morning! Oh well, in 5 days I'll be back in the U.S. with my true drink of choice (Dr. Pepper!).

1 comments:

ASH said...

Even though she is crying in her visa picture - I LOVE IT!!! Too cute!