Monday, November 8, 2010

Caitlin's Surgery

We met with Caitlin's plastic surgeon today, and we found out that her surgery to repair her palate will be on the 30th (as in 3 weeks from now). I had assumed it would be after the holidays, so I'm in a bit of shock! When they found out that we were moving to San Diego in March, they made us a priority and got everything moving. We go back on Wednesday for her pre-op appointment and to meet her ENT (she will also get tubes in her ears while she is under anesthesia).

The great news is that they plan to repair both her hard and soft palate at the same time. This is excellent because usually they do this in 2 separate surgeries. This will not be easy on Caitlin, but at least it will be over with in one shot.

While I'm very worried about the procedure and ready to have it behind us, I know that it is necessary. The sooner Caitlin's palate is repaired the less of a chance she'll have of speech and other difficulties.

As always, I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so very happy everything is going well for you. We may be moving to San Diego in the next month, though, we will be in Monterey before SD. Isa and I would love to meet Caitlin. I enjoy reading your blog.

Debbie Sauer said...

Parents are never ready for their babies to be hurting. She is so precious and I will be looking for updates to see how her surgery went. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Hey Allie - I'll ask my mom if she has any advice about the after surgery care. My sister needed her soft and hard pallate repaired, too. I am pretty sure that you won't be able to let her cry for awhile; meaning that Caitlin gets to be a little tyrant for a couple weeks! Probably comes at a good time, though - bonding and attachment stuff!

I hope you are all doing well. I can only imagine how busy you are now.

How excited are you to decorate for Christmas this year?!

I didn't know you were headed to San D. I am a little bummed. I was really hoping you and I could get together occassionally, if not walk, in Norfolk. :(

Good luck with the surgery!

Love,
Kelly