Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Right after I wrote the last post, they called us back to Recovery to see Caitlin. As soon as we went through the doors I could hear screaming and I thought "I bet that's Caitlin." Sure enough, it was. She was sitting in the bed SCREAMING at the nurses. They immediately asked me if I wanted to hold her. I said "Of course!," and as soon as they handed her to me she immediately calmed down; within a minute or 2 she was asleep.

We stayed in recovery for awhile (I'm not sure how long) while we waited for a room. The nurses were laughing at how as long as they stayed away from Caitlin, she was OK; but as soon as they even moved toward her she'd immediately wake up and start crying again!

Once our room was ready we came upstairs. They let me carry Caitlin instead of rolling her in the bed, which was wise! We have a semi-private room, but the room has its own bathroom with a shower. And both sides have a couch and a recliner-type chair; the nurse brought me blankets and a pillow to make a bed on the couch. It's not too bad, actually- although I'd definitely rather be home! Caitlin's monitors beep loudly all the time (her roommate's do not), but they don't seem to be worried about it. They say her numbers are all good. I wanted to ask if they couldn't mute the monitors, if they are apparently beeping for no reason, but I've decided to keep my mouth shut.

Caitlin slept in my arms for a long time, but then she started having these major fits/tantrums. The first one happened right after the nurse had given her some Morphine. She'd been sound asleep, then all of a sudden she woke up very agitated.
Then she had another. I'm talking FITS- she was insane! I couldn't stand up and hold her because she was squirming and thrashing with such force (that kid is STRONG!) that I was afraid I might drop her. But it wasn't much easier sitting down, either. The second fit was so bad that she started disconnecting all the monitors, she wiggled out of her nightgown, and even got her arm restraints- and even her diaper- off. I had to call the nurses to come help me. They decided she might be in too much pain so they gave her another dose of Morphine. No sooner had they left when she had another fit. I think the agitation is a reaction to the Morphine, so I've asked them not to give her any more.

We finally have her sleeping in her bed, and she seems more comfortable. But she is definitely not cooperating so it's not looking good that we will be able to go home early. They have not even tried to get her to drink anything yet, with as un-cooperative as she's been, and she can't go home until she can drink a certain amount. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

She is drooling blood, and during a couple of her fits she even had blood coming out her nose. But the nurse says that's normal. I was prepared- I'd brought my "spaghetti shirt" (a red shirt I wear when cooking tomato sauce). Good thing- it's pretty stained right now! And when her diaper fell off she wet my pants (the only jeans I'd brought). Luckily I brought some jogging pants. They say they have washing machines here, but I only have the one pair of jeans to wash so that's not really a load. We'll see how desperate I get!

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

So thankful the surgery is over and done with for Caitlin (and you). I agree about the morphine - follow those Mommy instints! Sounds like she has a negative reaction to it. Hopefully, they can give her something else that won't cause that reaction but will help her be comfortable and not in pain. I am praying specifically for her to be calm and cooperative with the nursing staff so that she can heal, do the required things like drinking, etc., in order to be able to go home to continue her recovery. I'm sure you and she both will be more relaxed in your own environment. Love, hugs and lots of prayers!

Michelle said...

Big hugs and thoughts and prayers your way!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Allie. Praying for a calm daughter and mommy. Remember to breathe!

Waiting for Lauryn said...

Hi guys, I am so glad that the surgery is over. Your post brings back so many memories! Lauryn was the same when we went to see her in recovery. She was also the same with morphine. She was a two year old tornado taking everything off and everything out... it was kinda of scary. She was so upset. Lauryn also was drooling blood and had some come out of her nose. Stay strong. I promise you that day by day things will be a bit easier. Then once you are able to go home, things will get much easier. Lauryn actually enjoyed drinking, almost right away. It would calm her a bit to. The hospital had a huge syringe that was like a turkey baster and they would very slowly allow us to give her sips of water. Thinking about you guys. Let me know if you have any questions. If I can help, I would be happy to. Take care, and try to get some rest. One day at a time. Goodluck with everything. Thoughts and Prayers to you and yours. xo

Kramer said...

So glad to know the surgery is over and Caitlin is back with you. Sounds like she had a rough time with the morphine! Praying that she heals quickly and that you can go home! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Kramer said...

So glad to know the surgery is over and Caitlin is back with you. Sounds like she had a rough time with the morphine! Praying that she heals quickly and that you can go home! You are in my thoughts and prayers!