Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Little Better...

Well, today went a little better! Caitlin woke up with only a very slight fever, which was great news, BUT when I went in to get her this morning I found her with one arm out of her "no-no." How the Little Houdini managed such a feat, I have no idea. I really thought there was no way possible; I put the no-no's under the sleeves of her PJs! But she somehow managed to get her arm out of the no-no and sleeve, and then slip her arm out the neck of her PJs. I flipped when I saw it; she wasn't sucking her thumb when I found her, but I don't know how long she had been "free" or how much damage she might have done. I had spent the night checking on her and making sure she still had her restraints on, so I don't even know when she did it. Unfortunately, however, there is really nothing more I can do to prevent her from getting out of the restraints- short of super-gluing them to her arms. And I can't stay up all night to watch her every move. I'm checking on her every couple of hours, but apparently that's not enough...

The weird thing is, she doesn't even mind the no-no's! She cries when I take them off. In fact, she was sitting there crying when I went in this morning. So why she did it, I have no idea.

So that was a bad start to the day. Caitlin got back in my good graces, however, (I was really mortified with the whole no-no thing) by helping me with the laundry. She likes to put the clothes in, and take them out of the dryer.

She only had 2 tantrums all day, and those were not that bad. She never hit, kicked or scratched, so I'm calling it a victory!

The sleeping issues, however, continue to get worse. It seems to have digressed into separation anxiety. I was trying to figure out why she insists on trying to sleep in her carseat and on the bathroom floor while I'm in the shower, but why, no matter how exhausted she is, she is fighting sleeping at naptime and bedtime. Then I realized that when we're in the car or the bathroom, I am there and she feels secure that I am not leaving her. When she falls asleep at naptime and bedtime, I slip out and she wakes up alone. I'm not sure what it was about the trauma of the surgery that has caused this digression, or how to fix it, but I really need to get a handle on it so that we both can get more sleep. As it is, she is still waking up multiple times a night SCREAMING. Before the surgery she was sleeping through the night, with the exception of an occasional nightmare or night terror.

We are going back up to see her surgeon tomorrow morning, and I have a list of concerns to discuss with him so we'll see what he says. Her fever has stayed down all day, but her breath still smells bad (a sign of infection), and she still has a lot of drainage coming out of her nose. And I'm hoping he has some advice on the sleep issues, although I realize that is probably not really his area of expertise!

1 comments:

Rochelle said...

You might try putting her to sleep in a pack and play next to your bed and seeing if that helps both of you get more peaceful sleep at night. We had to do that with Kina when she was little. It helped us tremendously in terms of everyone getting more rest and everyone being happier! Hope the appointment goes well tomorrow!