Tuesday, January 31, 2012

We're at the hospital

Caitlin is in surgery now. So far everything has gone smoothly. Caitlin loves the hospital and her doctors so much she didn't get at all upset until just before she went under. They let me go back to the OR with her this time, which really helped. I told her she was just going to take a nap, and I would see her when she woke up. We made it a fun game, and she was laughing and playing with the doctors, nurses and me until it was time to put the mask on. Then they let me hold her, and I told her the mask was just like her "cough medicine" (the inhaler she had to use for her bronchitis over Christmas had a mask just like that one), so she let them put it on her and she took a few big breaths, just like she did with the inhaler. When she started to get woozy she cried a little, but then she was out. It was hard to lay her on the OR table and have to walk out, but I was brave!

They say they will call me back to recovery as soon as they can so that I can be with her when she wakes up. Usually they want the kids to be awake before parents are allowed in, but after all the problems she had last time coming out of the anesthesia, they said they would make an exception.

I have a few pictures of Caitlin and me in our cute hospital garb, but I can't post them from the iPad so I'll have to share them later!

0 comments: