Monday, February 6, 2012

First post-op appointment

Caitlin had her first post-op appointment this afternoon, and the stitches and splint were removed! I can finally see her "new" nose and scar, and they look great! She still has the stent in her nose for 2 more weeks, but everything else is gone.

Caitlin did not cooperate with the surgeon or nurses today (she was not in her usual "perfect patient" mood, not that I can blame her- it's only been 6 days since her surgery!), so they had to wrap her in a blanket like a burrito, and they kicked my mom and me out of the room. I argued, but they kept telling me that Caitlin would do better without me in there. I was not happy, but I walked out the door (mumbling something to the tune of "this is a huge mistake"). When I saw the terrified look on Caitlin's face as I was walking out the door, and the pleading look in her eyes as she was screaming bloody murder and staring at me with a look that clearly said "Please don't leave me!", I turned around and walked right back in the door and announced that I was staying. I would stay out of their way and not interfere, but I was not leaving. They were angry and exchanged a lot of looks between themselves, but there was nothing much they could do to keep me out at that point.

It was nowhere near as bad getting the stitches taken out as it had been getting them put in back in July when Caitlin busted her eye (when I was allowed to stay by her side), so I really don't know what the problem was. I stood back, against the wall where Caitlin could keep her eyes on me, but I was not in their way. Caitlin was very upset, even when it was over, and took a few minutes to calm down, but I know that it would have been far worse if they had succeeded in making me leave.

Anyway, she's done for now; her next post-op appointment when they will remove the stent from her nose is on the 23rd, but for now she's going to get to enjoy a little more spoiling from her Mama and Nana (dinner tonight at her favorite restaurant and a trip to Disneyland next week for her birthday, among other things)!

Here are a few pictures from today...

Before:

After:
(Look at that cute little nose!)
At her celebratory dinner tonight:

1 comments:

ASH said...

She looks like she is doing great!!