Sunday, June 13, 2010

Caitlin's Name

I have been trying since the day we got our referral to find out the meaning of Caitlin's Chinese name (as well as how to properly pronounce it), but have not had much success. I quickly found the meaning of "Jiang" (her "last" name):

JIANG m & f; Means "river" in Chinese.

(I assume this part of her name comes from the city in which she lives: JinJiang)

Xin Er has been more of a problem; I can't seem to find the meaning anywhere. Any time I put it into a translation website and ask for "Chinese to English", the exact same word (Xiner) comes up! I've tried all variations: Xiner, Xi'ner, Xin'er, etc. (every piece of paperwork that we've received so far has had a different variation of the spelling), but I have not been able to find a proper translation.

Finally I got the idea to ask the friendly servers at our favorite Chinese restaurant here in town. We asked last week, but we were told that they would need to see her name written in the Chinese characters. So we went back today and brought Caitlin's paperwork (which has everything in both English and Chinese), and we finally got the answers we've been looking for! We were told that Xin means "Cheerful", and Er means "Child". So Caitlin's Chinese name means "Cheerful Child"! How cute- I like it!

The kind server also coached us on how to pronounce it. It was so exciting to know one more piece of information about our girl!

0 comments: