Thursday, October 28, 2010

One Week Home

I can't believe it's been a week already! Seems like just yesterday; although, thinking back, a lot has happened since we got back...

Caitlin came home sneezing last week, and over the weekend it progressed into a full-fledged cold. She was pretty miserable. Then she got this ugly cough, so first thing Monday I called her new pediatrician to ask for an appointment. He was very busy that day, but he was so kind and worked us in over his lunch break. Caitlin took one look at the poor guy and started screaming! He couldn't really see much because she just wasn't cooperating, but since her cough sounded so bad and whooping cough and bronchitis are going around here, he went ahead and put her on an antibiotic. Poor thing! She is feeling much better now, although she still has that nasty cough.

Thursday to Sunday we pretty much laid low and hung around the house. Other than brief trips out to the grocery store, to church, or out to eat, we didn't really accomplish much!

On Monday Paul went back to school, and my mom, Caitlin and I stayed busy pretty much all day with taking Caitlin to the doctor, getting her set up for insurance, etc. Tuesday we went to the mall and did some clothes shopping for Caitlin. Since that went pretty well we decided to drive up to the outlets to pick out her baptism dress. Caitlin decided she did not want to try on dresses and threw a tantrum like you would not believe in the store! It was a little embarrassing, although everyone seemed to understand (ahhh- the joys of toddlerhood!). Wednesday I was not feeling well (Caitlin shared her cold with me) so, after taking my mom to the airport, we just hung around the house again.

Caitlin is doing great! I can't believe the difference a week makes! To think, just 2 and a half weeks ago we first met her; we were complete strangers to each other, and yet now she is already such a part of our lives! I was rocking her last night before bed and she kept looking up at me and just smiling. She seemed so content in my arms, and I realized how content I was with her in mine. I suddenly thought "I am holding MY DAUGHTER!" It sounds weird, but I think it is just now hitting me...

Caitlin seems very comfortable in the house, and is becoming more and more confident and independent each day. I am able to put her down while home for short periods of time so I can do laundry, wash dishes, etc. She will tolerate it for awhile, as long as I am always in eyesight. After awhile, however, she will come walking to me with a big smile and her arms out, hug my legs, and not let go until I pick her up. I have to admit, I love it when she does that (even if it does make it difficult to get anything done; who cares- these are the moments I've been dreaming of for so long, and I'm drinking them in)!!

She is sitting in high chairs now, both at home and in restaurants, without an argument (because she knows she is going to be eating- and she loves to eat!). She likes her stroller, as long as it is moving. If we stop (as in while shopping), she is not happy, but I'm so thrilled to be able to give my back a little break. And she LOVES her carseat! She never cries when I put her in it; only when the car stops and she knows she has to get out!

She is eating like a champ! She will eat pretty much anything I put in her mouth, other than apples. She does not seem to like apples for some reason, which is a bummer since I'd made a huge pot of applesauce for her before we left for China. Anyone want some homemade applesauce? I have a freezer full of it! She won't drink apple juice, either. In fact, we were having a problem getting her to drink anything but formula and soup broth, but we have found a juice that she tolerates, so I mix it with a bunch of water and try to get her to drink a certain amount each day. She is VERY strong willed, though. She has to drink it when she wants to- not when I ask her to. If I try to give it to her when she doesn't want it, she will spit it out!

Eating a snack (I just love her expression in this pic, and if you look closely you can see the yogurt all over her mouth!):

Caitlin and Paul are getting along much better as well! She doesn't scream now when he tries to hold her, although if I'm around she still tries to get to me and will eventually cry if she does not get her way. But she will play with Paul some, and she even flashes him some adorable smiles from time to time!
Playing with her Daddy:

She and Libby are getting along great! I am very relieved because I was worried about how that would go, but I think they will eventually become great friends. There is a definite "sibling rivalry" going on, on Libby's end; she's very used to being an only child. But she is very sweet with Caitlin and is very curious about her. She thinks that she and Caitlin are equals, so she does not understand why Caitlin is allowed in the kitchen and she is still not (I have a "no dogs in the kitchen" rule), and if Caitlin gets Cheerios she thinks she should get them, too. I keep trying to tell her that the rules are different for children with 4 legs than those with 2, but she just doesn't seem to want to listen!
Caitlin trying to get Libby to give her a kiss (gross, I know, but it was kind of cute, and they were happy so I let it go!):
Me and my girls- snuggling before bed!

My mom just left yesterday morning. It was so wonderful to have her here our first week back. She even cooked for us- she made chicken soup that Caitlin is just crazy about! She eats it for dinner every night and still eats it like it's going out of style! Thank you, Mom, for everything!
Eating sizzling rice soup with Nana:


Here are a few more cute pics from this week:
Trying on Mommy's slippers (all by herself!):

Opening a gift from our friend Rebecca in Hawaii (she just kept saying "WOW!"):

1 comments:

Waiting for Lauryn said...

Lauryn has the same Froggy pajama's! LOVE them! Glad to hear things are going so well. Love the photos!