Thursday, December 2, 2010

We are home- THANK GOD!! It feels so good to be home!

Caitlin was happy to be home- and to see her "Lala" (Libby)! I fed her a snack, then we went for a quick walk around the neighborhood (we both needed some fresh air, and Libby needed a walk). When we got back, we opened a couple of packages that had come while we were gone. Caitlin had a blast helping me open my Lia Sophia order, and trying on all the new jewelry! Here's a picture of her showing off all the necklaces she had me put on her:Definitely a "girly girl"- another wish come true! :)

Then we opened a "get well soon" package my parents had sent to Caitlin: a baby doll stroller.She had fun pushing it around the kitchen while I fixed her some dinner. Since Caitlin has to "eat" through a bottle for the next 2 weeks, and the doctor recommended that I not try to puree her food myself (she said that any "chunks" that get through by accident can get caught up in her stitches, which can get infected, which means big trouble), I used baby food, then watered it down. Caitlin ate a tub of Gerber veggies and risotto, which I watered down with chicken broth; Gerber pears, watered down with some juice; and yogurt, watered down with milk. She loved it all and drank it right down!

After dinner Caitlin seemed to be sinking a little, so I went ahead and gave her a bath to get ready for bed. She did not play in the tub, in fact she looked almost zombie-like. I was starting to get concerned when she didn't even cry when I washed her hair (she HATES that). I gave her some more pain meds and she was asleep in no time. I hope she sleeps through the night and doesn't have any discomfort.

All in all, today was SO much better; it was great to see the old Caitlin emerging! Hopefully tomorrow will be even better. Her appetite seems to be back, and even the "no-no's" (arm restraints) seem to not be bothering her- yet. In fact, she seems to have just accepted them as a way of life. She's already figuring out how to do things with them on, and when I take them off (like for her bath or to put on her jacket), she just patiently waits for me to put them back on!

Caitlin really has impressed me through all this. I am so proud of how brave and resilient she has proven herself to be. I was preparing for the worst, but she has been a real trooper!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I absolutely LOVE that picture of her with the necklaces on. That grin smile on her face is so precious! I'm so glad to hear you are home and that all is going well. I love the little doll stroller. I need your address when you get a chance. I have a little something for Caitlin that I've been meaning to mail but haven't gotten around to it. Now that I saw her new doll stroller, I think its time I get myself in gear and get it mailed to her. Please email me your mailing address when you can. Hugs to Caitlin and continuing to pray for speedy recovery.

Waiting for Lauryn said...

YEAH! Caitlin is doing fantastic. Welcome home! It is so nice to see a smiling face! What a little Angel you guys have. Best of luck with all the recovery. The hard part is over and you will see more and more advances! Way to go guys!
So pleased for you all. Lisa xo